Displays

This week's posts on displays and Ultravision recalls
a thread a fortnight ago. First, Ultravision is no panacea. It improves
slightly the 9x16 matrix in DOS produced by video cards. You get a few
more pixels and the characters look, well, less ephemeral.  UV works
well on Desktops, in general, though it does cause some very strange,
though not fatal, opening screens on WIN-SE and up machines. On laptops
IT IS NOT A CURE for the 3/4 screen most people get in DOS
"full-screen" mode. In addition to UV, others here have in the
last month suggested other solutions, though they often require time to
"build" one's own fonts. There, is, however, an alternative,
one that works on both desktops and laptops (I think), and that is Uwe
Sieber's soft-fonts for "DOS Boxes." These are available for $6
at:
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/dosfon_e.html; eudora="autourl">http://www.uwe-sieber.de/dosfon_ehttp://www.uwe-sieber.de/dosfon_e.html
and
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/dosfonfe.html; eudora="autourl">http://www.uwe-sieber.de/dosfonfehttp://www.uwe-sieber.de/dosfonfe.html
and a number of XyDos'ers have tried and liked
them, this atavist included. Tweaking Windows (and I'll assume this is
possible in XP) one can hide the task tray and bar (bottom) and the tool
bar (top) and use these very clear fonts in an almost-full-screen DOS
box. The only loss is a Win one-line frame at the very top of the screen.

Michael Norman