Re: OT: Net traffic jams?

Manuel Castelao wrote:

Patricia,
I have been suffering the same problem but only with the messages sent to the list. I am afraid of a problem in the list server.

Yes, I think the Upenn server may have a problem. Whom do we notify
and how? I've been looking at the routing info that appears at the
head of e-mails. Now first of all, I'm puzzled by the timestamps. I
always assumed that NN:NN;NN -X00 referred to GMT: the first figure
being GMT, and adding or subtracting the second figure would give you
local time. But a message I composed at 5:05 p.m. Eastern Standard
Time (according to Tbird) has its first "received from" stamped "Sun,
14 Jan 2007 14:05:20 -0800" (this was at the local Eskimo POP); but on
my assumption (which must, therefore, be wrong) that would mean it was
sent at 6 a.m. Sun. So maybe it's the reverse? The first figure is
local time, and you add or subtract the second to get GMT? Except that
I know Rome is just 5 or 6 hours LATER than EST, so how could Greenwich, which is west of Rome, be 8
hours behind?

Whatever that means, the other times are as follows:

; Sun, 14 Jan 2007 17:05:26 -0500 (EST)

17:06:38 -0500 (EST)

; Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:11:10 -0800

Can somebody who understands the time stamps say how much time that took?

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx