Re: DOS v Win encoding/MSW Paranoia

Bill Troop wrote:
Another question. I am on Vista SP1. Will installing Office 2003 do
something to wreck my computer? ... wife who has things typed
for her in MSW format which then need to be transmitted on to publishing
people who expect that format.
I don't think _anyone_ knows what will and won't muck up a Vista
PC (or any other running Redmond Rubbish). But if you just need
to edit Word files, and they are the traditional .doc format (not
the new "open doc" that is anything but, but I'm fairly sure
Microsludge introduced that with Office 2008), both Open Office
and Word Perfect Office can open and save in that format.
Personally I'd go for WP, since that at least lets you _see_ your
formatting (OO doesn't). WP X3 runs on Vista; try
BuyCheapSoftware for a legit, but low-priced, copy.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx