"adding tilde to kbd file "

i was interested in getting option 2 below to work ( a freestanding
printable tilde), but find that [255] stands for em space -- so i
merely get a space in my keyoboard file, and what does the rest of the
code indicate (7,E)? am i missing something here? according to my chart of
xy characters 757 stands for tilde upper, and 758 for tilde lower.
are they the ones i am supposed to be using?