Re: new computer XY-DOS

Reply to note from Myron Gochnauer  Tue, 27 Jan 2015
02:02:13 +0000

Myron,

> I figured that was the case, but the "5 minutes to configure"
> can be a real barrier for the non-technical.

True, but that can be reduced to 1 minute in the first instance. Just
edit the USE statements in AUTOEXEC.TXT so that the directory tree in
vDosXy mirrors the Windows directory tree (see also my reply to
Jordan), and XyWrite should start up handily. All the other
CONFIG.TXT and AUTOEXEC.TXT options can then be explored at one's
leisure, and with assistance if necessary.

> Could someone who has created the setup and is familier with
> using W4W filters and printing to, say, a LaserJet-II write a
> set of instructions that takes someone from finding VDosXy to
> configuring it for a default Windows 8.x setup (i.e. C drive,
> standard locations for programs and documents, etc.)?

This is a welcome suggestion. I haven't used W4W filters in ages and
I rarely print from XyWrite (although I do use DOSPrinter.exe in
vDosXy to create PDFs), so I'm not the best candidate to do this. But
I'm happy to participate in a group effort.

By the way, for the heck of it, in vDosXy I just commanded:
DOS/NV/Z /C X:\XY4\FILTERS\WFW.EXE
and it called up the WFW shell program as expected. I see no reason
why the filters themselves shouldn't work.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx