Re: MicroSquish, Installment 245637: The Grousing Continues

Yes, yes re Tim Behr !
On Swiss Army knives I do note that the real one actually does its many tasks fairly well--unlike badly designed alternatives, which is where Microsoft seems to come in ("badly designed", at least). And please deliver me from any semi-smart machine or program--i.e. one smart enough to think it knows what I want to do, but not smart enough to get it right !

At 01:19 PM 5/12/01 +0900, Peter Evans wrote:
> Microshaft tries to be an *intelligent* Swiss Armee knife,
> i.e. one that tells you what you want to do and what not.

Yes, awful, isn't it? But hands up anybody on this mailing list who
didn't already know or think that. (Or re-ponder Oscar's aphorism.)

Meanwhile (and by contrast), warm thanks to Tim Baehr for providing a
long, detailed, and surprisingly unbitter history of the rise and fall
of Xy. I didn't know a lot of it. It deserves webbification.