USER SET II

>It should be functional but it isn't. And if you wanted to<
>bluff it out, you should try it on someone else. Or post this<
>on the list, on which some other users have 4.11 or 4.12.<

First let me begin by stating that it is not the policy of the
Technology Group, nor its technical support department nor myself
to lie to our customers. We have nothing to benefit from such an
action. We are well aware of the fact that XyWrite is not a
perfect product. However, it is our goal to make it as close to
perfect as we can. This department has no interest whatsoever in
lying to our customers about the functionality of our product.
Our interest instead lies in finding out the problems our
customers are having, tracking down the source of the problem,
and eliminating it. In many cases, user problems are due to
settings on their system. In those cases where we find
reproducible bugs in the software, we acknowledge them and pass
them up to development to be repaired. We would not benefit at
all from delaying in this action. The sooner a problem is fixed,
the less time and money we spend working with customers on that
problem. We would have nothing at all to benefit from lying to
our customers and claiming that our product functions in ways
that it does not. I'm sure however that if for some reason, we
found a benefit from lying to a customer, we would find far more
benefits in posting our lies on the list, where we could lie to
many customers at once.

>But for 4.11 (with XWDLG.DLG 773,599 of 9/15/94), one can paste<
>1959 from the Xy4.016 preferences and have a user character set.<
>If you attempt adding a single character to the set, however, the<
>entire list is wiped out--with "permanent" chosen.<

Our testing of this function indicates that it is fully functional.
If you could send exact steps to duplicate this error, we will be
happy to try them.

>For 412 (with XWDLG.DLG 799,400 of 1/13/95), one cannot paste<
>from Xy 4.016 because the character list with the DLG is in a<
>different format; in any case, the "permanent" user character set<
>doesn't work. Period.<

While pasting from the DOS defaults file worked in 4.11, this was
never a recommended or endorsed method of building a user
character set. The changes to the way this format is written
make this impossible in 4.12.
Again, in testing here, we are unable to reproduce your error.
You are indicating that you are getting no functionality from
this feature, but it does seem that it is writing properly to the
DFL file. I assume that it is by looking at this file that you
noticed a difference in the format between 4.11 and 4.12. Are
the characters not properly inserting from the menus or are they
being lost at a later time? If they are being lost, do they
disappear in mid session? Are they disappearing after exiting
XyWrite and re-entering. Again, exact steps to duplicate the
problem would be helpful.

>Moreover, I may not understand the coding after 3.55, but I do<
>know how to get value from XPL and 1959 is a blank.<

At what point are you testing the value of 1959? Immediately
after adding the character? The next time you start 4.12? Is
the value not being stored in the XWSET.DFL file? Please take
the time to answer these questions so that we can track down the
exact nature of your problem.

Thank you.