Re: Pipe dreams

> Rafe Tennenbaum:
>
> >wouldn't it be great if it were possible to port Xy to
> >Java, or Linux
>
> TTG appears uninterested either in (a) attempting such an enterprise (which
> admittedly would be risky) or in (b) getting money from passing over the
> pseudocode (etc.) to others who would be willing to take this risk.
> Perhaps it's merely my sad lack of an MBA that makes the combination of (a)
> and (b) seem one of the more inscrutable examples of American business
> practice.

It's unfortuante that Xy may not be ported, and will have to probably run it
under some DOS emulation on Linux. (Anyone tired that? Success?)

There was/still is an effort to define a wordprocessor ala Linux, from the
ground up. I had spoken to one of the people leading the effort and strongly
suggested that he look at Xy and try and use some of its best features. I also
pointed him to the Salon Article and he then traversed the Xy web site, etc.

I believe, don't quote me on this, that the name of the wordprocessor was
Abiword? The site, that i just found is http://www.abisource.com

You might want to drop them a line and give them some input!

fyi

Russ