RE: Military time (whoops!)

>> Patricia wrote:

>> midnight (2400--or is it 0000?) ... and is conventionally counted in the day just finishing

> Robert H wrote:

> "Zero hours, Greenwich Mean Time" (or "Coordinated Universal Time", abbreviated
> "UTC" for a stupid Franglish reason not worth mentioning). Look, if midnight
> is 2400 hours, then what time is it one minute later? 2401? Uh uh! 2400 is
> NOT correct! Not for an instant. Even XyWrite knows that.

OK, where's the reality here?

If12 midnight belongs to finishing day, then I would think 24:00 would be appropriate, and the next
second would be 00:01. Only if midnight is considered to be the beginning of the day does it make
sense for it to be 00:00.

Now, the above statements are only arguing for the semantic logic of naming. Does it make sense, as
to the number of seconds accounted for within a 24 hour period? Does 00:01 thru 24:00 equal the
correct number of seconds?

Is there any "official" determination about which day midnight belongs to?

-BrianH.