Re: XyWin stops working

There are certain things that have been established at this list, to
general consensus. (I'm not sure if these things apply to all operating
systems: I use XP.)

1. Xy4 is better than Xy3. And there's (almost) no learning curve to climb
in learning Xy4. So get Xy4, and copy its files onto your harddrive. It's
available at:

http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/ (search for 4.018 to find the download).

2. If your computer can do networking, you can print directly to a USB
printer (I've been doing it for years). You need only enter a command like
the following at a DOS prompt (substituting the name of your computer for
"Fury" and your printer's name for "HP_6100"

net use lpt2 \\Fury\HP_6100 /Persistent:Yes

That tells Windows to use the USB port as if it were LPT2. Of course then,
correspondingly, in your XyWrite printer file (settings.dfl if you're using
Xy4), you need a line like:

LPT2  c:\xy\hpdj660c.prn   6100 on Harry's computer

I believe this kind of assignment was used in Xy3+ also. The "hpdj660c.prn"
is a printer file that works well enough with my HP 6100 multifunction
inkjet printer. I'm sure it, or something else that's available through our
good offices, will work with your Brother printer.

After the initial setup, which is merely what I said above--but we can help
with any questions--it's all permanent and transparent. You just print as
if it were a parallel printer.

Full disclosure: just yesterday, for some unknown reason, I couldn't print,
so I had to launch a DOS prompt and re-issue the NET USE command above. No
big deal. In fact, since, for unknown reasons, I seem to have to do this
every 6 months or so, I've programmed it to a key (and you say you know how
to program your .kbd file).

IN GENERAL: this list is very active and you can get your questions
answered usually in less than 24 hours. Particularly since it sounds like
your questions won't be new ones.

--Harry

Thanks. My printer is a Brother MFC 210C. I have two copies of XY4 but it seems each one can only be loaded once, and the computers they were loaded into have been dumped. No problem because, as far as I'm concerned, iiia is a much better program. One problem -- I'm not a computer type. I was editing a magazine when I got XY and I had in-house help to tailor it, (actually Times XYwrite) to my taste. I can now modify XY myself, (rewrite the keyboard), but in just about everything else I'm a klutz. I've been getting by pasting xy files into Word to print them, but it's slow. I tried Nota Bene but it didn't work for me, because it seemed to want to produce only finished (typeset) work. That's the same problem as Word -- but I'm used to writing rough and letting typesetters worry about the final appearance. Still, it would be a convenience if I could print my roughs direct from XY. I do a lot of my editing in a coffee shop these days and, in the old days, it was nice to bang out a rough copy direct from XY. I'm spending a lot of time out of town these days, so I will be off-line for most of next week -- but I look forward to any advice you can offer. andy t ----- Original Message ----- From: "Patricia M. Godfrey" To: Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2007 4:22 PM Subject: Re: XyWin stops working