Re: A Real puzzler

Robert,
actual

Don't you mean 264?
I think the number-string "246" in the text has nothing to do with
character representation. I'm not sure about this.
At any rate, what I'm after is that pasting from web and Word documents
that use such things as curly quotes be reproduced in Xy as straight quotes
(or regular apostrophes, etc.). I take it from your explanation below that
this is not achievable by using CLIP, with or without CodePage arguments.
Is that correct? If so, I'll stick with using NB if I need to see these
characters.

Thanks,
Harry
>> I'm not following all this, but to paste I use not
>> clip.exe but U2 clipw.

> U2 Clipw CALLS clip.exe

Yes, CLIP.EXE underlies all these U2 Copy/Paste facilities.
Otherwise, I'm not following it either. But let's leave it
alone...

>> It looks right in my Eudora, too.

> It does NOT look right in Tbird. If that were real Windows
> native CP 1251

Native CP is 1250

> it would have real curly quotes.

I think that what may be confusing you (or your software) is
that the Xy4 *extended character set* (characters >255) consists
of 3-byte characters, correctly interpreted and displayed by
Speedo fonts only. The Windows APIs that I use in CLIP don't
know anything about those characters; they only know 1-byte
characters. The Windows API is going to translate CP1250 curly
quotes into standard "" quotes when pasting into Xy4 -- because
there aren't any curly quotes in the CP437 or CP850 character
sets, so what other choice does the API have? I mean, if
CLIP.EXE wanted to examine every bloody character in a Paste
string for potential conversion to 3-byte char, I guess it could
do that, but... it would be slow, yikes. In other words, the
extended chars are only understood within the tight closed
environment of Xy4<>Speedo. (A very few work in my Postscript
PRN (POSTGHST.PRN) because I explicitly translate them: in the
(huge) extended range 256 to 909, I translate just 14 of the
most popular characters -- if you want more or different ones,
add them.)

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx

Harry Binswanger