Re: A Real puzzler

Robert Holmgren wrote:
Native CP is 1250
Yes, my wretched memory again, and too much in a hurry to
bother looking it up.
I think that what may be confusing you (or your software) is
that the Xy4 *extended character set* (characters >255) consists
of 3-byte characters, correctly interpreted and displayed by
Speedo fonts only. The Windows APIs that I use in CLIP don't
know anything about those characters; they only know 1-byte
characters.
Aha! Well, that answers that. The interesting thing is that,
at least as far as WordPerfect is concerned, the WforW
filters do a pretty good job of handling these: I use Xy's
smart quotes in my stories for the local paper, and when I
convert to WP using the filters they come out fine. So do em
and en dashes and accented letters.
So what I suggest doing if you want fancy characters to come
over from a Web page is to copy it first to Word, Save As
RTF, then call the RTF file in Xy and run SA/RTF with the
reverse switch, to convert to Xy.
Let me check if that works in Open Office Writer, for those
of us who don't want to use Weird.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx