Old pooters

  I'm with you on retaining one's comfortable old computer as one's
writin' machine. My Heathkit H-248 suits me -- I've had it for six
years, and no 386 would make me a better or faster writer. Of course
someday the killer app will come along that finally forces me into the
386 (or maybe 486) arena.
  And the Toshiba T-1200XE laptop I bought last spring has become so
comfortable under my hand that the lack of VGA support (let alone lack
of ATT PC 6300 video support in XyWrite) doesn't bother me at all. An
old, well-used tool becomes part of oneself.
  Of course, wordprocessing and telecommunications don't require a
lot of power. Neither does the simple Quattro spreadsheet I use to
track my writerly expenses. I'd probably change my tune if I had to do
heavy-duty spreadsheeting or databasing.