how to install under XP?

I know this has been answered before, but how
do you best install under XP? I have all the files,
but how do you create the necessary shortcut, etc.?
Most important for me, because I must use subst,
how do you create a little autoexec. just for XY4?
Thanks! Oh, and does anyone know how to do
the subst thing for XP in general? I can get
subst to work in a command window, but not
systemwide: i.e. I need to make a certain
directory have a virtual drive letter. Oh, and is there
any way to have a scalable font for the command
box besides hateful Lucida Console? I would
love Courier !