AUTO-REPLACE

I'm still using 3.55, so I guess auto-replace is still legal for me, but I have
a question regarding its use. I'm writing a little XPL program to create 3-tier
index entries, then shuffle the tiers around so they all get a chance to be the
main heading. Unfortunately, only the main heading is supposed to be
capitalized, and the other fields in the record should be lowercase. So far, so
good. The problem, which I thought auto-replace could soe for me, is that there
are words, abbreviations and phrases that should be uppercase regardless of
where they are. Is there a way to invoke autoreplace and have it work on text a
program is generating? So far I've made it work only when stuff is typed
directly from the keyboard.