RE: A radical idea: a new XyWrite

Phil,

Of course, I know what DOS is. I don't know the Macro 11 part. No matter.

On conversion of code: Xy3+ is written in Assembler. Are you saying that there's some automated conversion of that into a modern language?!

If Xy4, I just learn is written in some flavor of C, perhaps we could buy the rights to use the source code (not the binary) for the purpose of converting it.

This is hopeful!

Regards,
Harry

Harry,

Thank you for your very speedy reply&

First DOS is an operating system, a.k.a., an OS, and Macro 11 is the machine language platform used to write machine code for the Digital Equipment PDP 11 computer.  The PDP  11 is the machine that Atex used for the original Atex OS/editor/database that was used by newspapers and publishers all over the world. (And in some cases still is.)

Depending on the original programming code, it is now relatively easy to convert existing source code into a modern programming language, such as C or C+. The current Visual Studio dev platform has the ability to compile this into binaries (applications) that will run on Apple, Linux, and Windows operating systems simultaneously.  It can also create versions whichh will run on the various phones, which may not be that useful for production, but the ’text’  files can be edited by the full-sized versions of the application running on bigger machines. This is usually accomplished by syncing the ’data’ through a common cloud connection. (Aside: We should not underestimate the modern hand-held smart phones. By connecting them to a keyboard and monitor, they have the capabilities of full-fledged desktop machines.)

The bottom line is that by moving the XyWrite editing platform onto Windows, you can gain a lot more than merely overcoming the 64K memory boundary. Here are just a few potential ’teasers’: There is voice recognition, group cloud sharing, modern output to printers, the ability to ’publish’ directly into eBooks, PDF files, databases, large typographic machines, graphics, apps& The list goes on and on.