Re: A radical idea: a new XyWrite

Kari Diabolus,

Greetings. Here is the other, other side.

1. It is way too late to do anything of the sort. The customer base which still exists is too small (and dying one by one).

I will pay thousands of dollars to get this. I suspect others would pay a considerable, if lesser amount. What matters it if our numbers are few and dwindling? We aren't trying to please any set of people but ourselves.

2. We already have a product that is ported to the modern Windows platform, albeit a singular one (Nota Bene).

I have tried NB with each iteration, without success. I don't know that I've tried NB 3, which you have mentioned, but certainly most of them for a long, long time. NB is indeed sufficiently XyWrite-like, but it is terribly slow and non-robust. Versions later than NB 9 will not load U2. A few years back, I wrote a post to this list on how NB would save us, but despite much tinkering with each version and some real improvement by means of that tinkering, I have always found NB unsatisfactory for scripting work, which is most of what I use XyWrite for.

(You may not know that I developed a front-end language that I call XyBasic to make scripting more intuitive. So far, it has an installed user-base of one; but it's been only 28 years since I offered it to the world.)

3. Harry and Carl and many others would like to see a XyWrite 4 derivative, whereas a XyWrite 3-type program would require less work and be more likely negotiable with any parties holding the rights. This would make the project less desirable to key proponents but more feasible on the whole.

That's possible, except that one of the very best features is available only in Xy4: wildcard search and replace. I use it all the time. (Carl has made regex available to us via U2, and that conceivably could substitute.)

I don't think the rights are at stake any longer. How long has it been since TTG even was contactable? 12 years? 15 years?

4. vDosPlus XyWrite is quite good as is.

It is indeed. But it still has the 64k memory limit, and it runs 15 times slower than XyWrite. What difference to that make, you ask? I have large programs that I not only need to run but, more importantly, need to compile from XyBasic. In Xy4, the compilation (which is partly done by an external program but partly by XyWrite itself) can take over a minute. Since I am a clumsy programmer, I need to recompile maybe 50 times a day, when I'm developing code, so that's a deal-breaker.

(The workaround for the latter problem is for me to write a Python program to do compiles, but this would take me maybe 400 hours. Happy hours, true. But still . . .)

5. Editing huge XyWrite files with aplomb can be accomplished using EditPad with syntax highlighting of Xy codes.

My own problem is not filesize, and Carl's Big Edit frames for U2 take care of that anyway. I have EditPad but my main alternative is Notepad++, which also has syntax highlighting for whatever. It's good, but not as good as a command-line, easily customizable program--and one with which I have 31 years of familiarity.

And lastly, as de Gaulle put it: vaste programme, monsieur!

Well, you know de Gaulle is no longer trending.

Regards,
Harry

Best regards,

Kari Eveli