Re: Conversion from XyWrite to Word

Fredric Gross wrote:
≫>Unfortunately, the filters bundled w/ XY4 are great for converting TO
>XyWrite, but when converting FROM Xywrite tend to make each line of
output a
>separate page...≪
To which Leslie answered:
≫Really? Have you tried saving the files as a Word 6.0 file? And/or Have

you removed any ≪PG≫ codes in the XyWrite file?

That's all I can think of. Over to you, Patricia.
≪

Well, Manuel and Carl have pretty much covered what I was about to say.
(Hazards and advantages of not checking one's e-mail every day). I never
convert directly to Word: contrary to what some have said, I have found
that later versions of Word (I have 2000) do not read older versions of
Word as well as WordPerfect does (and sometimes choke altogether).
Converting from XyW4 to RTF, I have never encountered the separate page
for each line phnomenon. Download the Hungarian filters and Robert's
instructions and try them.

Here is a somewhat later version of the batch files Robert gives in his
instructions:

@echo off
echo Export XyWrite %1 to RTF %2
W4W17F.EXE %1 /N /V1
echo WAIT a few seconds for conversion to delete temp files
pause
if exist %2 del %2
W4W19T.exe %2 /N /V0pa

%1 and %2 represent the names of 1) the original XyWrite file and 2) the
desired RTF file.

I have a routine (and a similar one for converting to WordPerfect) that
involves running an XPL program that writes the batch file, embedding the
name (with fully qualified path) of the file to be converted) and the
name of the resulting file (same name with extension RTF). One can then
minimize XyWrite, click on the shortcut to said batch file on one's
desktop to run the batch file, and then return to XyWrite--all without
danger of going OOM. I need to polish the code a little (one call is fine
on my system, but should be made more general for sharing), and will post
it when I have done so.

Patricia