Re: conversion from XyWrite to word

Thanks, Robert.

We actually use XyWrite ver. 3.58b.  Will your process and filters work with that version?   Using XyWrite 4 is not an option.

//Avi
Avram Sacks
Chicago, IL

"Robert Holmgren"
Sent by: owner-xywrite@xxxxxxxx

10/27/2004 12:03 PM
Please respond to xywrite

        To:        xywrite@xxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: conversion from XyWrite to word

** Reply to message from Lisa Kleinholz on Mon, 25 Oct
2004 15:33:42 -0700 (PDT)

>> Does there exist a program that converts (or nearly converts) a
>> XyWrite document into Word?

> Yes. Instructions here:
> http://holmgren.home.acedsl.com/filters.htm

> Filters are available here:
> http://www.xywrite.com/xy4/filters/filters_02.htm

> Holmgren's instructions are entitled, Undocumented Freestanding Use of
> Word-4-Word Text Conversion Filters -- How to Convert XyWrite 3(+),
> XyWrite 4-DOS, or XyWin Documents to Microsoft Word v6|v7|v8 [97]|v9
> [v2000]|v10 [v2002]--The Satisfaction-Guaranteed ?DOS-Only? Method

> It seems complicated but if you follow instructions, it isn't too bad.

The method that Lisa mentions works!  It is the *native* method.  It is the
best method.  Just automate it with a BATch file, then forget about it.  Like
this:

Download these two ZIPfiles, unZIP, and put the contents (WFW17F.EXE and
WFW49T.EXE) in the \XY4\FILTERS directory, overwriting any existing file of the
same name:

http://www.xywrite.com/xy4/filters/w4w17f_02.zip
http://www.xywrite.com/xy4/filters/w4w49t.zip

Then commit the following BATch file to disk in your XyWrite directory --
change the d:\paths appropriately (what is your default directory for M$Word
DOCfiles?  what is the drive:\directory name for XyWrite text files, if it
isn't d:\XY4?  "d:" just stands for "any drive" -- you gotta CHANGE it to the
actual one!):

------------------------
@echo off
if %1!==! goto err
if %2!==! goto err
if not exist %1 goto nofile
if exist "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\My Documents\%2" goto killdupe
if not exist d:\XY4\FILTERS\W4W17F.EXE goto noexe
if not exist d:\XY4\FILTERS\W4W49T.EXE goto noexe
echo Converting XyWrite file "%1" to intermediate format...
d:\XY4\FILTERS\W4W17F.EXE %1 /N /V2
pause
echo Converting intermediate format to MSWord document "%2"...
d:\XY4\FILTERS\W4W49T.EXE C:\DOCUME~1\DEFAUL~1\MYDOCU~1\%2 /N /V0
echo Done
goto exit
:noexe
echo.
echo Filter file not found - Aborting...
goto exit
:killdupe
REM Target file MUST NOT already exist!
REM Switch /P below offers option to DELete or NOT DELete target file
echo.
echo File "%2" exists -- delete it or not (Y/N)?
echo.
del /P "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\My Documents\%2"
echo.
echo If you deleted file "%2", then re-run "CONV2WRD.BAT %1 %2";
echo   otherwise change the MSWord_OutFilename to a nonexistent filename
goto exit
:nofile
echo File "%1" not found
echo.
:err
echo.
echo Syntax: CONV2WRD.BAT XyWrite_InFilename MSWord_OutFilename
:exit
echo.
------------------------

Command, at a DOS prompt (use short 8.3 filenames -- assumption:  source file

is in current directory; if not, alter the BATfile to specify the source
directory, or CD into that directory before running the BATfile):

CONV2WRD.BAT XyWrite_InFilename MSWord_OutFilename

Done.  NBWin has even better, more modern filters -- if you own NBWin.  But
these several filters understand XyWrite file structure; as for the others --
well, maybe, & maybe not...

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx