Re: PDFs; a Win9 gotcha

Good day to everyone.

Patricia Godfrey wrote:

_________
I've just discovered a nice chicken-and-egg problem. Don't ever put
XyWrite in the C:\Program Files folder. The DOS 8-letter name of Program
Files is PROGRA~1. XyWrite, DOS or Win, being a 16-bit app, cannot read
long file names. And even if you set your default soft hyphen character
to be something other than the tilde, XyWrite needs to read the path
(which contains the tilde) BEFORE it can load the defaults. So nothing
beyond EDITOR.EXE gets loaded. Be warned.
_________

The tilde character is just the default Xy uses for this nefarious
purpose (just which one, I forget). You can define it to something
else. I've done that - defined it to one I never use in text.
If you want help, let me know.

John