Re: memory use

Carl wrote:
Oh yes, for the reasons Robert just described, you can save a ton of
memory.

Hooray!
 But make sure that those programs are no longer being
loaded at startup, i.e., that you're really "moving" and not just
"adding" them to U2. You'll need to go through STARTUP.INT and
disable any lines with LDPM or LDSGT commands (after transferring
all of the code to U2, of course). And you'll have to comb through
your KBD file and change all calls to "ordinary" Save/Gets (nn=@A,
nn=@0, etc.) or "ldpm" Save/Gets (nn=&A, nn=&0, etc.) to calls to
the U2 frames that superseded each of them
(nn=JM,2,.,f,r,a,m,e,n,a,m,e,Q2). It's an obvious point, but worth
mentioning anyway: Simply duplicating LDPM code in U2 won't
magically remove the old code from memory if you keep on loading it
at startup!

Never hurts to state the obvious.
You can save a ton more of memory by offloading textual Save/Gets as
well. Rather than burden U2 with this information, which can be
voluminous, you might consider using a single U2 frame, FISHOUT, to
manage it. FISHOUT (a/k/a FISH) lets you store all of your reusable
text, formatting, etc. in a single file and retrieve it (fish it
out) by quoting a snippet on the CMline.

I don't use textual S/Gs, but FISHOUT might induce me to start.
 For example, if your data
file include the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, you might
fish it out with FISH freedom of speech. The relevant Help
screen (command HELP FISHOUT) has details.
Funny you should mention it, I just had occasion yesterday to get out my
copy of both the Constitution and the Declaration (to criticize Scalia's
horrible dissent in the Texas decision).

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx