Re: 3.5x printer drivers

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997 12:10:37 EST you wrote:

>I'm dealing with an elderly author who is happy with 3.52 and has
>no desire to upgrade. But recently he got a new printer, an
>HP Deskjet 520, and he can't get his diacritics to print out.
>He tells me he has driver 3DJ5-10U.PRN installed, but I don't
>have a copy of it to inspect. It came with application note
>#198, and my archive ends with #196, which I guess dates when
>I stopped calling the old XyQuest BBS.
>
>Are XyWrite 3.5x printer drivers available anywhere anymore? Or would
>anyone be able to send a DeskJet 520 driver to me as an attachment to
>email (or ftp it to ftp.pupress.princeton.edu -- standard anonymous
>login)? Does anyone have a copy of application note #198 they could
>share? Do these still exist online anywhere?
>
>This author is a wonderful old gent and I want to save him from
>having to write in all of his diacritics by hand, as he is dealing
>with several foreign languages.
>
>--Chuck Creesy
>Princeton University Press
>creesy@xxxxxxxx
>609-258-5745  Fax: 609-258-6305

Here is app198.txt which is from the BBS. The driver that
you mentioned, 3DJ5-10U.PRN, is, I believe, still available
on the BBS as is 3DJ5-8U.PRN.

®MDBO¯APPLICATION NOTE #198
   USING THE HP DESKJET 500 WITH XYWRITE III PLUS
®MDNM¯

The DeskJet 500, manufactured by Hewlett Packard, is an
inkjet printer that supports cartridge and soft fonts.
XYQUEST has developed printer files that enable you to use
the DeskJet 500 printer with XyWrite III Plus, Version 3.55
or later. This application note describes the DeskJet 500
printer files, gives instructions for modifying them, and
provides detailed instructions on how to print your
documents in landscape orientation and on envelopes.

®MDBO¯PRINTER FILES
®MDNM¯There are two files included in the DeskJet 500
printer file package. These files support the internal fonts
and the new C2109D (Dom Casual) and C2109E (Brush)
cartridges.

3DJ5-10U.PRN Ä Supports all internal fonts in the PC-8 (10U)
character set and the new C2109B, C2109C, C2109D and C2109E
cartridges in the ECMA-94 (0N) character set.

3DJ5-8U.PRN Ä Supports all internal fonts in the Roman8 (8U)
character set and the new C2109D and C2109E cartridges in
the ECMA-94 (0N) character set.

®MDBO¯Monospaced Font Names
®MDNM¯The DeskJet 500's monospaced fonts have two fixed
values:

þ Point Size (character height)
þ Pitch (characters per inch)

XyWrite's font names for monospaced fonts have the form:

 pointsize/pitchFONTNAME

For example, a font containing 12-point Courier type that
prints 10 characters per inch is named:

 12/10CO

®MDBO¯Form Depth
®MDNM¯The DeskJet 500 printer does not allow you to access
the entire width and length of a sheet of paper. It
``steals'' about 1/2 inch from both the top and bottom
margins and about 1/4 inch from the left and right margins.
This means you have to adjust the LM (Left Margin) and FD
(Form Depth) commands embedded in your document
ac~~cord~~ingly. For example, to get a 1-inch left margin,
set the LM command to 8 (rather than the standard LM 10).

The cumulative loss at the top and bottom margins means you
cannot get more than 60 lines on a standard 8-1/2 x 11 sheet
of paper. Therefore, we have set FD (Form Depth) to 60 in
the DeskJet 500 printer files.

®MDBO¯PC Tables
®MDNM¯Each DeskJet 500 printer file contains a PC (Printer
Control) table that allows you to access four different
paper sizes and print certain fonts in either portrait or
landscape orientation (see ``Landscape Printing''). The PC
table is described below.

®MDBO¯PC
#   PC Code     Size         Orient.
®MDNM¯
1   &l2A&l0O   Letter (8-1/2 x 11)  Portrait
2   &l2A&l1O   Letter (8-1/2 x 11)  Landscape
3   &l3A&l0O   Legal (8-1/2 x 14)  Portrait
4   &l3A&l1O   Legal (8-1/2 x 14)  Landscape
5   &l26&l0OA   A4 (European)     Portrait
6   &l26&l1OA   A4 (European)     Landscape
7   &l81&l0OA   #10 Envelope     Portrait

Normally, you use the PC command to invoke PC codes at a
particular point in your text file. However, the DeskJet 500
processes PC codes in a way that conflicts with the TP and
RH commands. Therefore, XYQUEST has developed the PB (Page
Begin) command to change the way control strings are sent
from PC tables. PB is an embedded command and has the
format:

 pb #

where # is the line number in the PC table that
cor~re~spond~s to the control string you want to send. For
example, to print on legal-sized paper:

 Type: F5pb 3

The PB command must be entered before the page it is to
affect, which means that in a multi-page document it
immed~i~ate~ly precedes the PG (Page Break) command. For
more information on using the PB command, refer to the
procedure for the specific task you want to perform.

®MDBO¯Note #1 Lowercase L.®MDNM¯ In all escape codes shown
in this application note, the character after the ampersand
is a lowercase L.

®MDBO¯MODIFYING DESKJET 500 PRINTER FILES
®MDNM¯The printer files delivered with the DeskJet 500
package are all set to go. Each file contains PT tables for
the most commonly use fonts. All you need to do is select
the one you want and load it into memory with the LOAD
command.

Keep in mind, however, that the DeskJet 500 offers several
options. You may want to modify the standard printer files
to incorporate one or more of these options.

The following sections give you the information you need to
add a PT table and to change the underline type, print
quality, and character set.

Remember to store and load the printer file every time you
make a change. For more information on modifying printer
files, refer to Chapter 6 of the XyWrite III Plus Reference
Guide.

®MDBO¯ADDING SOFT FONTS AND FONT CARTRIDGES TO THE PRINTER
FILES
®MDNM¯The XyWrite printer files fully support the internal
fonts. You can customize them to support both soft fonts and
font cartridges.

The printer files developed for the HP DeskJet Plus can also
be used with the DeskJet 500 to provide the font definitions
and width tables for all soft fonts and cartridges. The
DeskJet Plus printer files and the fonts supported by each
are listed below. The printer files are available from
Technical Services.

®MDBO¯File       Supports
®MDNM¯3DJ-PLS1.PRN   the R, T, U, and V cartridges and HP
22708C soft fonts in
         the PC-8 (10U) character set

3DJ-PLS2.PRN   the R, T, U, and V cartridges and the HP
22708C soft fonts
         in the Roman8 (8U) character set

3DJ-PLS3.PRN   the HP 22708D soft fonts in the PC-8 (10U)
char~ac~ter set

3DJ-PLS4.PRN   the HP 22708D soft fonts in the Roman8
(8U) char~ac~ter set

3DJ-PLS5.PRN   the A, B, C, and M cartridges

3DJ-PLS6.PRN   the G, H, J, and Q cartridges

3DJ-PLS7.PRN   the D, E, F, and P cartridges

To add a font to a DeskJet 500 printer file:

1. Copy the font definition, width table, and substitution
table (if needed)
 from the appropriate DeskJet Plus printer file into your
DeskJet 500
 printer file. It is not necessary to copy the
substitution table if it
 already exists in the file you are working with.

 The following is an example of a font definition, width
table, and
 substitution table for the R cartridge font, 10 point
Times Roman:

  FO:10TIMES
  FO<(8U(s1p10v0s0b5T
  VL=50
  UW:10TIMES
  US:PCSymbol
  ET

  WD:10TIMES
  SW=30
   .
   .
   ET

  SU:PCSymbol
  ø=³
   .
   .
  ET

2. Create a PT Table that accesses the new font. (Refer to
``Creating a New
  PT Table.'')

3. Store and load the printer file. Make sure there are no
error messages.

®MDBO¯Creating a New PT Table
®MDNM¯PT (Print Type) tables enable XyWrite to actually use
the fonts that are written into the file. The PT table
numbers correspond to the value you use with the PT
formatting command. For example, when you issue the
command:

 F5pt 2

XyWrite looks at the table labeled PT=2 in the current
printer file.

Each DeskJet 500 printer file contains a set of PT tables,
but you may want to add another one for a font that hasn't
been defined. For example, you may want to add a draft
quality version of the 12-point/10 pitch Courier font.

1. Page down in the printer file until you see the PT table
that most closely
  resembles the one you want to create. For example, if you
want to create a
  draft version of 12-point Courier, locate the PT table
that defines the
  letter-quality version of 12-point/10 pitch Courier.

2. Define the PT table you selected in step 1.

3. Move the cursor to the end of the PT section of the
printer file, and copy
  the defined block.

4. Press F3 to restore the defined text.

5. In the new table, change the number after PT= to the next
available number.
  For example, change PT=1 to PT=12.

6. Make the appropriate changes to the MD statements in the
table. This step
  might involve changing point sizes, font names, or
attribute names. Follow
  the exact naming conventions used in the DeskJet 500
printer files

 7. Store and load the printer file.

For more information on creating PT tables, refer to
Application Note #162.

®MDBO¯Changing Print Quality
®MDNM¯The DeskJet 500 printer offers two print qualities,
draft quality at 240 cps (characters per second), and letter
quality (default setting) at 120 cps. The standard printer
files are set up for letter quality. To access draft quality
printing:

1. Call the printer file to the screen.

  Type: F5ca 3dj5-10u.prn

2. Search for the PT (Print Type) table that is set up to
access the desired
  font. For example:

  Type: F5se /PT=1/

3. Change each occurrence of LQ (Letter Quality) in PT=1 to
DRAFT. For
  example:

  Type: F5cv /LQ/DRAFT/

  (See Chapter 3 of the XyWrite III Plus Reference Guide
for more information
  on the Change command.)

4. Store and load the printer file.

To change back to letter quality, simply repeat the steps to
change DRAFT back to LQ.

To access both DRAFT and LQ with the same font, define and
copy the existing PT table, give the new PT table a unique
number, and change each occurrence of LQ to DRAFT. (Refer to
``Creating a New PT Table.'') This lets you access DRAFT
and LQ for the same font by using separate PT commands
rather than having to call and change the printer file each
time you want to change print quality.

®MDBO¯Changing Underline Type
®MDNM¯The DeskJet 500 printer supports five types of
under~lining, which are listed below with their attribute
names:

þ Regular (UNDERLINE)
þ Double (D-UNDERLINE)
þ Single floating (SF-UNDERLINE)
þ Double floating (DF-UNDERLINE)
þ Landscape (L-UNDERLINE)

The position of single and double floating underlines is
based on the font family (for example, Courier, Helvetica,
Prestige, etc.), not on different point or pitch sizes
within the same font family. While they work with any point
size, they are best suited for large type sizes. Fixed
underlines (regular and double) are always in the same
location, no matter what font is being used. The landscape
underline is required for landscape fonts. (See ``Landscape
Printing.'')

The standard DeskJet printer files use regular underline as
the default value. You can define a different under~line
type by modifying the appropriate MD (Mode) state~ment in
the printer file's PT tables.

For example, to change from regular underlining to double
underlining for 12-point/10 pitch Courier:

1. Call the printer file to the screen.

2. Move the cursor to PT=1, which defines the mode
statements for 12/10CO.

3. Change the attribute name in the MD UL line from
UNDERLINE to D-UNDERLINE.
  The finished line should look like this:

   MD UL+12/10CO+D-UNDERLINE+LQ

4. Store and load the printer file.

Result: When you TYPE your document, 12-point Courier text
in under~line mode prints with a double underline.

You can also define regular and double underline in the same
PT table by using two MD statements. For exam~ple, use MD UL
for regular underline and MD BR for double underline. In
this case, the modified PT table would look like this:

 PT=1
 MD NM+12/10CO+LQ
 MD BO+12/10CO-BOLD+LQ
 MD UL+12/10CO+UNDERLINE+LQ
 MD RV+12/10CO+FORMS
 MD BU+12/10CO-BOLD+UNDERLINE+LQ
 MD BR+12/10CO+D-UNDERLINE+LQ
 MD SU+12/10CO+SUPERSCRIPT+LQ
 MD SD+12/10CO+SUBSCRIPT+LQ

When you TYPE your document, 12-point Courier text in
underline mode has a single underline, while 12-point
Courier text in bold reverse has a double underline.

®MDBO¯Using the Legal Symbol Set
®MDNM¯The DeskJet 500 printer has a symbol set of legal
characters that can be accessed by: any font in the 10U
symbol set; all cartridge fonts except M, P, and Q; and all
8A (HP 22708A), 8C (HP 22708C), and 8D (HP 22708D) soft
fonts, except the ASCII character set portion (0U sumbol
set, i.e., ASCII 32 through ASCII 127) of the soft font
products. The printer file 3D5-10U.PRN includes a
substitution table (SU:LEGAL) for the following characters:

ASCII
Value Produces:

 007  Trademark symbol
 015  Registered trademark symbol
 017  Copyright symbol
 027  Dagger symbol

To access the legal characters:

1. Call the printer file to the screen.

2. Move the cursor to the font definition table you are
using. Remove the
  semicolon from the line US:LEGAL and put a semicolon in
front of the line
  US:PCSYMBOL.

3. Store and load the printer file.

4. Call your document to the screen.

5. Move the cursor to the place where you want one of the
legal symbols to
  appear and enter its ASCII value (from the table above).
For example, to
  print a copyright symbol:

   Type: Alt-Shift-17

Result: The Greek theta character appears on the screen, but
the copyright symbol appears on the printed page.

®MDBO¯LANDSCAPE PRINTING
®MDNM¯In standard printing (also called portrait printing),
char~ac~ters are printed across the 8-1/2-inch dimension of
the page. In landscape printing, characters are printed
across the 11-inch dimension of the page. The DeskJet 500
print~er allows you to print your documents in either a
por~trait or a landscape font, or to mix them on different
pages within a document. (The DeskJet 500 does not allow
you to mix portrait and landscape fonts on the same page,
however.)

®MDBO¯Landscape Fonts
®MDNM¯Landscape printing is a built-in feature of the
DeskJet 500. There are several different sizes of the
internal Courier font that will print in landscape. For a
list of these fonts, display the DeskJet 500 printer file
and scroll to the table ``Standard Internal Fonts.''

Unless you plan to print underlined text, you can use the
same PT tables for portrait and landscape orientation. If
you do plan to underline, you need to create a new PT table
and change the underline attribute. (See ``Modifying DeskJet
500 Printer Files.)

®MDBO¯PC Codes
®MDNM¯The default printing mode is portrait on letter-sized
paper. To change to landscape, you need to send a control
string to the DeskJet 500. The control string also specifies
whether you are printing on letter-sized, legal-sized, or
European-sized paper.

To simplify the process of getting this information to the
printer, XYQUEST put the required control strings in a PC
table in the printer file (see Page 1). You send the
appropriate PC code to the printer with the PB (Page Begin)
command.

You must enter PB commands before any text or PT (Print
Type) commands.

®MDBO¯Note #2 Default Setting.®MDNM¯ Because portrait
printing is the default setting, you don't need to send the
code for portrait orientation unless you are returning to
portrait from landscape.

®MDBO¯Formatting Commands
®MDNM¯When you change printing orientation, you change the
``shape'' of your text area. (For example, the form length
is no longer 11 inches, but is 8-1/2 inches.) You therefore
need to adjust the values in the embedded formatting
commands in your document. (Remember, the DeskJet 500
``steals'' a border area, so the maximum printing area for
letter-sized paper is 10 inches by 7.5 inches.) For
landscape printing on letter-sized paper, some typical
values are:

 RM 100
 FD 45
 PL 42,44,40

®MDBO¯Printing a Document in Landscape Orientation
®MDNM¯To activate landscape printing for an entire
document:

1. Call the document to the screen.

2. Enter the appropriate PB command at the beginning of the
file. For example:

  Type: F5pb 2

3. Enter the other formatting commands you want to apply to
the document.
  For example:

  Type: F5pt 12
  Type: F5rm 100
  Type: F5fd 45
  Type: F5pl 42,44,40

Result: When you print the document, the internal Courier
font (in this case, specified by PT12) is printed in a
landscape orientation on standard-sized paper.

To print the document in landscape orientation on
legal-sized paper, the procedure is as follows:

1. Load legal-sized paper in the printer according to the
instructions in the
  DeskJet 500 documentation.

2. Call the document to the screen.

3. With the cursor at the beginning of the file, enter the
appropriate
  PB command.

  Type: F5pb 4

4. Enter the rest of the formatting commands. For example:

  Type: F5pt 12
  Type: F5rm 112
  Type: F5fd 45
  Type: F5pl 42,44,40

Result: When you print the document, the font specified by
PT12 is printed in a landscape orientation on legal-sized
paper.

®MDBO¯Mixing Portrait and Landscape Printing
®MDNM¯If you are switching from portrait to landscape in the
same document, the most important thing to remember is that
you must enter the PB command before the page it is to
affect. For example, suppose you have a 3-page document and
want pages 1 and 3 in portrait orientation, and page 2 in
landscape:

1. Move the cursor to the end of page 1.

2. Enter the appropriate PB command for landscape printing.
For example,
  for letter-sized paper:

   Type: F5pb 2

3. Enter a PG (Page Break) command and a carriage return.

   Type: F5pg
   Press:

4. Enter the PT command for your landscape font, along with
the appropriate
  margin and page length settings.

5. Move the cursor to the end of page 2, enter the PB
command that will set
  the printer back to portrait orientation.

6. Repeat step 3.

7. Enter the PT command for the portrait font, along with
the appropriate
  margin and page length settings.

®MDBO¯PRINTING ON ENVELOPES
®MDNM¯The following sections describe the procedures for
printing a single envelope and printing a series of
envelopes using XyWrite's Mail Merge feature.

®MDBO¯Printing a Single Envelope
®MDNM¯Use the following procedure to print a single
envelope.

1. Create a new file

  Type: F5new envelope

2. Enter the following embedded commands in the order shown.

  Type: F5pb 7
  Type: F5fd 24
  Type: F5pl 22,23,21
  Type: F5lm 35
  Type: F5rm 80
  Type: F5tp 7

3. Type a carriage return to end the line of embedded
commands.

4. Enter the name and address you want typed on the
envelope.

5. Insert a #10 envelope head first, flap facing up, into
the envelope guides
  on the OUT tray. With the right side of the envelope
flush against the
  right side of the tray, push the envelope under the paper
feed rollers
  until it stops.

6. Press the up and down arrow keys simultaneously on the
printer. (Refer to
  the loading envelopes procedure in the Hewlett-Packard
Professional Printer
  DeskJet 500 Owner's Manual for more information.)

7. Print the address.

  Type: F5type

®MDBO¯Using Mail Merge to Print Envelopes
®MDNM¯You can use XyWrite's Mail Merge capability to print a
series of #10 envelopes as follows.

1. Create the data file and enter the names and addresses on
your mailing
  list. Be sure to leave a blank line between each record.

2. Create the main file by following steps 1 and 2 under
``Printing a Single
  Envelope.''

3. Type the appropriate FI and PF statements. (Refer to
Chapter 5 of the
  XyWrite III Plus Reference Guide for information.)

  When in expanded mode, your completed main file should
look something like
  this: