Re: Going to Xy4 (was: Reverse-order printing)

** Reply to note from Jane (Eric?) Van Tassel 14 Jan 97

> I have to admit, though, that I found it tedious to adapt old text files
> for re-use.

> (a) *If I remember correctly,* all dimensions in Xy3 defaulted to 10ths
> of an inch but Xy4, because of the vastly greater freedom it gives you,
> demands that you specify (e.g. "IP3,0" in Xy3 = "IP3IN,0IN" in Xy4).
> (NB the ** above -- this may be a non-problem which I'm inventing in
> retrospect.)

Non-problem. VAriable UH establishes (in SETTINGS.DFL) the horizontal unit
of measure, e.g. "df uh=DI,DI" where "DI"=deci-inches (1/10 inch). So you
continue to input something simple and pithy like "IP 3,0" -- but the value
which is embedded thereby is expressed (in text) as . You can
always override the UH setting by specifically indicating the unit of
measure in your command: thus, "IP 3IN,0IN" would yield . UH
can be set to INches, PIcas, TWelfths, CMs, LInes, DiDots, and whole slew
of other units.

All this elaborate handwringing and angst is silly. Just DO it! Xy4 is
much better than Xy3. No contest. But don't overwrite your Xy3
installation; you'll need it, to inspect anything (file, program) written
specifically for Xy3.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx