Re: I want to go geek .. and VPC?

Robert wrote:
All the messages on this list about Win98 and DOS and preparing
for the future by burrowing into the past are just nonsense.
I would put it more sweetly, but this sounds right to me. There was a lot
of resistance on this list to going to XP, but XP and Xy work very well
together. The only problem (and only for some systems) was the cursor
jerkiness, which Tame has solved entirely for me.
These users need to install XyWrite on a modern box, and then,
ONE BY ONE, tackle the problems narrowly.
Another case in point is Xy4: when it first came out, there were about a
dozen "problems" for me as a Xy3 user. Emotionally, my initial reaction was
I should stick with Xy3; but gradually, tackling each problem one by one,
they all dissolved and now I can't imagine going back to Xy3. The same
applies to operating systems.
There's an Objectivist saying: "The problem of survival has to be solved
and re-solved every day." That's true of computing, too. Even of OS's.
Full disclosure: I'm staying with XP, instead of getting Vista on my new
laptop, but only because for SP1 has been announced as coming out in August.
Tough love.

LOL.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx