Re: Faux Orbis

At 09:12 PM 11/24/01 -0500, Carl Distefano wrote:

>Reply to note from Michael Norman  Sat, 24
>Nov 2001 18:12:47 -0500

>Some possibly relevant programs are described here:
>http://www.intext.de/textanae.htm

That's a good link, Carl. Those programs seem too academic-oriented for me
-- I can't figure out what they're talking about- - but I'd like a good
KWIC program.

To complete the set, I located a web site which still has the free,
discontinued Alta Vista Personal (now called AltaVista Discovery:

ZDNet France. fiche logiciel AltaVista Discovery (1.0) (10mb)
http://logitheque.zdnet.fr/cgi-bin/a_logi.pl?File_ini=ficlogi.zd&ID=2965
Click on Telecharger
http://logitheque.zdnet.fr/cgi-bin/d_logi.pl?ID=2965

I did have a problem: I couldn't download it. It seemed to download, but
the download box didn't disappear when I was done, and I didn't have the
file in my download directory. I'll try again when I have another hour to
spare. If anybody downloads it successfully, let me know.

>The only one I am familiar with is ZyIndex. I used the DOS version
>back in the '80s and early '90s; it was quite good. Apparently it's
>no longer developed or supported. Too bad.

I used ZyIndex too, and I liked it, especially since it had filters for
XyWrite that displayed XyWrite text reasonably well. The Win 3.1 version
was even better. But I couldn't install it in Windows98. XyLab told me they
could sell me a new Win98 version, for about $300.

I switched to dtSearch http://www.dtsearch.com/, which was a shareware
ZyIndex clone. David Thede himself told me he would include XyWrite filters
at my request. But they didn't work.

I think ZyLab is still around http://www.zylab.com/ -- it's used to
search resumes.

I wrote about these programs for Law Office Computing, and I now have the
articles on my web site http://www.nasw.org/users/nbauman/index.htm#txtsrch

I want to write an update one of these days. If anybody knows of a computer
magazine that would pay me $1,000 or so, let me know.

BTW, if you ever use these programs, the index file can get *really* big,
and it grows and grows as you update the index. You have to compress the
index, or delete it and create a new index. I filled up my entire hard
drive and was going to buy a new one until I realized that all I had to do
was delete the index and create a new one.

Norman

Norman Bauman
411 W. 54 St. Apt. 2D
New York, NY 10019