Re: easy way to print from xywrite

J R FOX wrote:
This reminds me of a related question. (I'd try XySearch first, if it was back up and running . . .
) The (single) Par. Port in my Shuttle stopped working a while back. I may have to replace the
part, provided there is not also something wrong on the MB. The later model Shuttle I've not quite
gotten around to assembling has no Par. Port. (I could put a port card into its lone PCI slot, but
would prefer to reserve that slot for something else.) In anticipation of at least the latter
problem, I got a USB - to - Parallel adapter. And so, my question: how does one fire something out
of the USB port with a DOS program like Xy, to see if this adapter can do what it claims to do ? I
seem to recall there being some sort of port remapping / redirection service in Windows. But, even
if I'm right, would Xy play ball with it ? Has anyone pulled this off ?
This has indeed been covered many times, but if XySearch is still
down...
1. You can print directly to a USB printer (no adapter needed) IF
it is HP PCL or PostScript (or a really ancient Epson ESC/P, but
I doubt there are any of them still working), using the net use
command to map the USB port to a virtual parallel port.
2. If the printer isn't HP PCL or Postscript, you can still print
to it over USB, using Postghst.prn, TYP, Ghostscript, and GSView;
 you can also generate PDFs using the same programs and Xy2PDF
in U2. My laptop has no parallel port, my desktop's printer is
USB, both are Epsons (NOT ESC/P), and I print from both all the time.
This is Win2K and up. Net Use doesn't work under 9x (unless the
printer is really attached to another PC in the network), and I
have no idea about OS/2.
I'll try and dig up the complete instructions. I have most of the
last few years' list posts on my hard drive, but SE turns up a
lot of false positives.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx