Window size problems on XP

I find myself unable to get the following in XP:
a 40-line screen (with Xy4 set to SL=40) with Lucida Console, 28 point, as the font. (This on a 1920x1200 screen, where 28 point is not that large.) For some reason, the system always sets the screen height to 43, instead of 40, no matter what I do. Anybody got any idea what I can do about this?
I had this problem with my earlier Dell, and just gave up, but now I'd like
to solve it once for all. Needless to say, nobody at Dell or MS seems to
know anything about this. I _still_ have the problem with the clock needing
to be reset every time I emerge from suspend or hibernate, but that is
easier to live with than not having the screen length I want.
And thanks for the beep responses. I set EB to 100,1000 which gives an
unobtrusive click.