OFF-TOPIC! -- MS Word DOC files without any MSware

Some have to deal with MS Word files and some have a deep aversion to
MSware of any kind. What should people do if they're pulled both ways?
Here's a tidbit I found on another list, about StarOffice (for Linux),
which I believe has just about all of MS Office's unattractions (plus
plenty of its own) but which comes at a more attractive price:

> I'm finding with star office that i can open my word
> .doc files (in english of course) and vice versa,
> though Star office warns me about saving them
> that way.

Peter Evans