Re: OT: Wireless Internet

Wolfgang,
It works on _planes_? I guess you must be talking domestic flights, and
the rules must be different in the U.S.
Pretty much irrelevant to me, who rarely travel. But from my last
flight I recall that we were allowed to use our cell phones while
on the tarmac. And as much as half of flight time can be spent on
the tarmac.
Aren't you conflating two things here, namely using the phone itself to
browse the net and do computery things, and using the phone as a modem?
For the former, WinCE or similar definitely is helpful, but for the
latter, it is not required. I have used plain vanilla cell phones (with
a dedicated USB cable)
Aha! That was what I thought. Thank you, that clarifies things. I
have no intention of trying to read e-mail or anything else on a
cell phone screen. Laptop screens are too small for my taste.
There are also things called air cards: PM cards that go in a
laptop's PC card slot and work as wireless modems. But to use
them with a desktop, you'd have to stick in one of those add on
cards that lets desktops read PC cards. Doable, but more hassle.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx