Re: U2 {was Search/Replace Func Characters}

Reply to note from "J. R. Fox"  Mon, 24 Feb 2003
11:46:15 -0800

Jordan:

> Actually, I think the grouped organizational presentation of U2
> routines on the XyWWWeb pages often helps me find things better
> and faster than poking around in the U2 files themselves.

There's a similarly-organized Index of routines at the top of the
documentation file, XYWWWEB.INF. The Index is summoned with
INDEX. The advantage of this listing is that the INDEX
command has powerful search capabilities. If a keyword or string is
added as an argument (for example, INDEX spell), you're
presented with a list of all occurrences of that word or string in
the Index, with a CMline macro that permits easy switching between
any list item and the corresponding location in the Index itself (a
copy of the Index is in the alternate screen).

Note that the argument to the INDEX command can include SEarch
wildcards, including the logical OR wildcard (assigned to
Alt+Shift+O in XY4.KBD; the underlying assignment is nn=NN,O). If
you're unsure how the Index might describe a particular feature, you
can use the OR wildcard to argue alternatives. For example,
INDEX convert[OR]conversion[OR]filter (where "[OR]" is the
OR wildcard). This can speed the process of finding routines you
believe are there, but whose names or precise descriptions you may
not know or remember.

For details on this feature, command HELP INDEX.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx