Re: U2 {was Search/Replace Func Characters}

Robert Holmgren wrote:

> ** Reply to message from Patricia M Godfrey  on Wed, 19 Feb
> 2003 13:45:56 -0500
>
> > Brian, I too resisted U2 for years, I blush to say
>
> I don't understand why. If somebody came up to me out of the blue and offered
> me a XyWrite extension with 700 routines, some purporting to do sophisticated
> things, I'd download it instantly. What risk would I be running? What thought
> or consideration would give pause? A virus, perhaps -- the dread XyRus? The
> upside is, there might be real "stuff" there. Stuff at least worth skimming
> and possibly cherry-picking. What's the downside? Lost time? Absence of
> curiosity? A vague apprehension that it would "take over" or I would somehow
> "lose control"? Fixed and settled ways, that don't need any modification? I'm
> curious what the reasoning is.

I got into it much later than most. This might almost be considered a certain
intimidation factor (in my case) . . .  although I think Patricia is likely far
more accomplished in the programming and customization area than I am. Once I did
start using it, the biggest problem was discovering the uses of things I knew or
supected to be in the collection, and there are so many -- practically an
embarrassment of riches. There have been times when I've done searches and not
found what I was looking for, which was in fact there all along. Actually, I think
the grouped organizational presentation of U2 routines on the XyWWWeb pages often
helps me find things better and faster than poking around in the U2 files
themselves. There may be some navigational improvements yet to be realized for the
jumbo U2 archive. But I can't think of any good reason to avoid or overlook this
great body of work.

Jordan