Old wp's

While we're using up bandwith on old wp's, I forgot to mention that when I
decided, in 1980, to enter the computer world, I almost bought a used
dedicated wp--I think it was called Qume (?) and, through the fog of
unknowing (thanks a lot Robert), I seem to recall it was made by what was
then named EXXON.
It was a whole piece of furniture: the screen, computer, and maybe a
printer were built into a desk with an upright portion. Must have weighed a
ton. In my then-total computer ignorance, I remember being impressed by the
fact that you could highlight a block of text on the screen. Amazing! And
the price, used, was $3000.
Fortunately, I had a computer-savvy friend advising me who convinced me to
get a NorthStar Horizon, running CP/M with WordStar. In 1987, as the
NorthStar started failing, I reluctantly moved to DOS. I got Xy at the
insistent recommendation of a journalist friend, Jerry Schwartz of the
Atlanta Constitution (and before that, the Miami Herald).

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx