Re: Xy under OS/2 (Was: running xy 3+ under windows xp - aarrgghhh!)

VBX is not a call to another key. It is a call to a VB routine in the
compiled VB code. Keyboard customization remains as it always has. I used to
know what 0,76 meant, but that info in my brain has been overwritten by a
recipe for corn and bean salad. I can find out if you want.

Frankly, you're right about the decision to move to VB.

You must remember that TTG wasn't ever really interested in word processing
per se. TTG had a product called General Counsel that made heavily
customized legal documents. It used Btrieve for the data end, and NotaBene
for the wp component. It was all grafted together in a remarkably ugly
interface. Then, when IBM yanked the rug out from underneath Xyquest, TTG
didn't want to lose its wp component (which it had never really understood;
I had so many go-rounds with their developers about how you could NOT put
spaces arbitrarily inside Xy commands), so it decided to buy Xyquest,
assuring that the wp component would be just what they wanted. Footnotes?
Who cares? Column tables? Nuisance. Expanded mode? Get rid of it. All
development on any purely wp features was "suspended" while we fancied up
the interface with the database. XyWrite replaced the ugly interface with
its own lovable quirkiness. One thing Dave Erickson did insist on was that
XyWrite or whatever you wanted to call it would remain as customizable as
ever, and that the files would remain ASCII files. That holds true, as long
as you realize you have to dump the entire menu system to replace it with
what you really want.

These were not happy times.

Chris