Re: Win2K/VirtualBox/Win 8.1

Well, I still can't get the shared VBox folder, but having succeeded in
obtaining a bridged or partially bridged connection, can obtain a network
connection with other computers on the network, and successfully got
XyWrite moved over and started. However, I now suspect that I have
discovered an excellent reason why not to use XyWrite on any OS less than
XP. You may recall that I have asked, in the past, if anyone knows
whether XP supported ClearType font enhancement in DOS windows, and
nobody knew. I am here to report that Lucida looks very markedly
worse under Win2K. It is possible that there are some adjustments
that can be made, but out of the box, the fonts look terrible compared to
what XP or XP under Win 7 are capable of achieving. I therefore now
suspect that XP does considerable and excellent enhancement of fonts in
DOS windows.

This has been a very interesting experience. I will now try to install XP. (Anyone who needs Win2K should contact me via email for advice.) Considering how comparatively unsophisticated a user I am, I am pleased with my progress and very grateful particularly to Kari. - - B

PS Only other thing worth noting is that touchpad movements are slow and messy, but I am sure this can be adjusted. Also, touch works to some extent. One of the curiosities of virtualizing on a system that supports touchscreens is that you can use touch on MacOS (which does not otherwise support it) and - - I just checked! - - on XyWrite !!!!