Re: AE* expand*

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:55 PM, mailto:cld@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Fred Weiner wrote:

> I'm looking for help with dedicating Carl's great AE (expand)
> routine to a key in the KBD file. Something basic about how to
> use 'NOJMXH' or like codes, to begin an assignment meant to
> execute a routine, that I'm not understanding. Can't use BX ...
> Q2 as it's not a native command. Not sure where to look to get
> the answer. Is it possible that this routine can not be put on
> a key?

It can. The syntax is verbose, but straight-forward; it requires a call to U2 frame PrsKbdArg. Let's say the command that you want to assign to a key is AE argument. The KBD file assignment would be:

NOXHJM2,.,P,r,s,K,b,d,A,r,g,Q2a,e, ,a,r,g,u,m,e,n,t,NO

CoPy that into your KBD file, and substitute for "a,r,g,u,m,e,n,t," your actual argument.

(Note that that commas after 2-character functions have been deliberately omitted, to conserve memory; this usage is legal.)

Hope this helps.

--
Carl Distefano
mailto:cld@xxxxxxxx

Of course it helps. It works. Nothing more could be asked, unless to understand why it works, and some of the fine points. Here is the XYWWWEB.INF section dedicated to PrsKbdArg:

KeyBoarD file            PrsKbdArg
           nn=JM,(,2,.,P,r,s,K,b,d,A,r,g,),f,r,a,m,e, ,a,r,g,CO,a,r,g,NO
    N.B.   Space characters must separate "frame
argument[COarg,...]NO"
           Func CO (not commas) must separate multiple arguments
           Func NO must terminate each .KBD command
           If no argument(s) are passed, use syntax:
             nn=JM,(,2,.,P,r,s,K,b,d,A,r,g,),f,r,a,m,e,NO
           Any CMline beginning with a space char is passed at runtime
             to the target framename as overriding argument(s)
           Framenames containing spaces must be enclosed in
separators:
             nn=JM,(,2,.,P,r,s,K,b,d,A,r,g,),",f,r,m, ,n,m,", ,a,r,g,NO

I don't understand what  "N.B.   Space characters must separate "frame
argument[COarg,...]NO""
means.

As well, I don't seem to be able to use, as a second argument, a BX...Q2 series. For example, the following assignment works perfectly:

20=NOXHJM2,.,P,r,s,K,b,d,A,r,g,Q2,a,e, ,c,o,p,y, ,f,o,.,t,m,p, ,c,:,\,d,e,s,k,t,o,p,\,',v,a,$,f,i,',.,p,s,Q2,NO

but

20=NOXHJM2,.,P,r,s,K,b,d,A,r,g,Q2,a,e, ,c,o,p,y, ,f,o,.,t,m,p, ,c,:,\,d,e,s,k,t,o,p,\,',v,a,$,f,I,',.,p,s,Q2,CO,BX,d,e,l, ,f,o,.,t,m,p,Q2,NO

which attempts to add the command to delete FO.TMP, locks XyWrite and forces a shut down with ctrl-alt-del.

What am I not understanding? Peace be with everyone to tolerate this detail.

Fred Weiner