Windows NT -Reply

I have used Windows NT at work for a couple of years now. I have never
noticed any problems with either XyDOS or XyWin or Nota Bene in NT. I
don't know if the famed XyDOS install problem from Win 95 applies
under NT, since I merely restored my backup of the XyDOS and XyWIN
setups from my old computer to the new one.

Of course, I've never noticed any problems with XyWrite of any flavor
under 95 or 98, so the disclaimer "your mileage may vary" applies
here.

Be advised, of course, that NT 4.0 is about to be supplanted by
Windows 2000, and if Billy Gates' past success with initial releases
of operating systems is any clue, I'd stay away for awhile from Win2K.

Steve Crutchfield

>>> Nathan Sivin  12/21 7:53 pm >>>
I have two problems which I will run by the assembled company in
separate messages. The first has to do with Windows NT. I am
looking into the possibility of a new computer. After putting up
with Win95 for several years, I am fed up with the endless
crashes. Many of these are due to running DOS and 16-bit Windows
programs, I realize. I would like to use WinNT Workstation if its
handling of "legacy" programs is likely to be an improvement in
stability. Will it? Since I will continue to use XyDOS and the
16-bit XyWin, the second question is whether NT will pose
problems of any magnitude. I would appreciate recent experience
of anyone on the list. If there is not a reason to change, I will
stick with Win95 OSR2, which has the advantages of Win98 without
the bugs, hogs much less disk space than NT, and probably makes
it easier to root out Internet Explorer, which I do not want.

Cheers,
--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science