Re: XY Full Screen in XP

Fred,
Debugging can only be done one step at a time. Which is more important: getting full screen or gettng a wider windowed view? Realizing that either because of VMWARE or--more likely--the BIOS of the system, true full screen that is as big as or even appraoches the size of the actual screen may not be possible.
So try the same thing with width you did to establish that 50
lines is indeed a legal screen length for a VDM on your BIOS
under VMWare. Create a plain text file (in Xy or Notepad or
anything else that can do plain text) that looks like this:
12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
and so on, with as many digits as you want columns of width.
Now open a DOS prompt and try changing the values for Screen width. Then
type filename.ext|more
You'll have to count zeros, I'm afraid, to see how many columns you're actually getting.
Play with that to find out which values are legit. Remember that
you may have to go with a smaller or larger font. See what effect
changes to the properties page have--without Xy up and running.
Once you know what your BIOS supports, _then_ you can try loading
Xy, changing SL and SW defaults, closing, and relaunching.
As for the shrunken "full screen": that could be something
specific to VMWare or to your system's BIOS. But did you try
(again, with a plain DOS prompt window first, without Xy running)
enlarging the screen height and width and then hitting alt-enter?
Does that make any difference in the size of the resulting "full
screen"?
Personally, I agree with Harry. I find windowed screen much more
useful. But everyone is different, and that may well be a result
of my visual inattentiveness: other things on the screen don't
distract me. But they evidently do distract a lot of people.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx