Re: Describe vs XyWrite

>Describe can do same. Imagine my surprise when I actually tested
this >feature and found that, despite multi-threading, Describe
was the *slowest* >of all the word processors I tried. Here's
the results of a search and >replace (of one letter for another)
in a 200kb ascii file on a 486DX2/66 >with 16MB RAM:

>Describe: 108 secs (using 4 threads)
>AmiPro/2:  22 secs (using 2 threads)
>Starwriter: 94 secs (using 1 thread)
>
>WPWin 6.1: 36 secs (WIN-OS2)
>XyWin 4.12: 4 secs (WIN-OS2)
>
>There's a clear winner, and we've got it.

  Of course, nothing beats XY in the speed department --
although I have to wonder at your results, especially considering
that AmiPro/2 did so well in your test when one of the major
complaints I see posted to the net continually is that AmiPro is
incredibly slow, compared to others like
Describe, etc.
  One might also note that speed is not the only consideration
at this point -- XY's inability to cope with a lot of our newer
work habits -- long file and directory names, pen input and
gesture recognition, voice input, direct graphic input, etc. --
is a major problem that only grows larger as time goes by, and
thus, of course, draws many of us towards a native OS/2 wp
despite our love for XY.

-- Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxx
seaverh@xxxxxxxx harmon@xxxxxxxx

We have found the Fountain of Youth in Asia!