Describe vs XyWrite

This is a follow up to a previous post in which I extolled the
virtues of Describe as a multi-threaded word processor. I made
the comment about the benefits of multi-threaded searches after
having read in the manual that Describe can do same. Imagine my
surprise when I actually tested this feature and found that,
despite multi-threading, Describe was the *slowest* of all the
word processors I tried. Here's the results of a search and
replace (of one letter for another) in a 200kb ascii file on a
486DX2/66 with 16MB RAM:

Describe: 108 secs (using 4 threads)
AmiPro/2:  22 secs (using 2 threads)
Starwriter: 94 secs (using 1 thread)

WPWin 6.1: 36 secs (WIN-OS2)
XyWin 4.12: 4 secs (WIN-OS2)

There's a clear winner, and we've got it.

Cheers,
John Gordon

J.L. Gordon
Dept of Anthropology