Re: Expanded memory

>The current computer is running Win98 first edition; I can't remember
>how to find out what the Dos version is.

Win98 tells us the version of DOS: 4.10. (You can confirm this by typing
VER at the command line.)

>This is my config sys:
>
>rem
>rem  *** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE! ***
>rem
>rem  This file was created by the System Configuration Utility as
>rem  a placeholder for your CONFIG.SYS. Your actual CONFIG.SYS
>rem  file has been saved under the name CONFIG.TSH.
>rem

In other words, it's blank. Incidentally, I take "*** DO NOT EDIT THIS
FILE! ***" as an invitation to edit the file (e.g. delete the obviously
superfluous parts) -- and I thought such an attitude was normal for a Xy user.

>This is my config.tsh:
>
>REM [Header]
>
>REM [CD-ROM Drive]
>
>REM [Miscellaneous]
>FILES = 100

In other words, FILES=100 (This is a rather high number. Unless you
really need 100, you may be wasting memory.)

For Win98, I'd suggest:

DOS=UMB,HIGH
DEVICE=C:\WIN\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WIN\EMM386.EXE [plus parameters]
BUFFERS=40,0
FILES=40

Adjust C:\WIN according to the location of these files (most likely
C:\WINDOWS). My own parameters for EMM386 happen to be RAM WIN=F500-F7FF
WIN=F100-F4FF but for more about this you should see
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q78/5/57.asp
Peter Evans