THKS, AND QUESTIONS

I very much appreciate your help with XPL. Having SVSX.TUT, your note about
using two printers, your program comments in CTLO.E, and your message 2240 of
July 11 has been a great help. The light is slowly beginning to dawn.

The syntax you sent in answer to the EXIST ALL part of my message would not
work until I realized that EXIST ALL, being a command, has to be executed. I
found that this happened if it was on a line by itself (so that the hard return
did it, like a batch file). I should have known that from a startup file, but
it was somehow quite startling. Seeing how the IF statement worked was
revealing.

I would like to ask two more questions of principle.

  1. I understood that PV goes with SX, whereas IS goes with SV. But it
seems that perhaps IS and PV can go with either SX or SV and that the choice of
which to use depends on how you want the saved material to be treated.

I think your statement "SX#,PV# means you understand the difference between a
string and an expression" is intended to speak to this point, but I'm not
quite sure how. Does it mean that PV cannot be used with SV? (In other words,
does it mean that the functional choice *has* to be made back in the selection
of SX or SV?)

  2. I'm trying to find out how to make a program pause for you to assign a
file name to an ASCII file that is to be created by TYPEF from a XyWrite file.
I think I need  to save a place for what is typed, and I think I need
some kind of "is" or "pv" system to do the assigning of the name to the new
file. (typf oldfile,<----> ??) Seems like this should be simple but
apparently I don't understand the logic of it.)

  Carl