Keyboard definitions

Wolfgang Bechstein was kind enough to put several weeks' of list
traffic on a local BBS.

I'd like to add some comments on several threads. All comments
apply to XY/Dos. I threw Signature in the trash on my last move.

The SHIFT, ALT and CTRL keys *appear* to have some hard-coded
limitations that prevent reassignment, and an example appearing
in the manual (exchanging SHIFT and \ keys to compensate for a
sadistic keyboard layout) would not work.

The problem is related to the actual *names* of the tables, so if
you change it from SHIFT to SSHIFT, you can assign it anywhere
without so much as a *beep* of complaint.
Same with CTRL, ALT, CAPS, etc.

Of course, strange (to some people wonderful) things happen if a
key has both regular and shift-style definitions.

I always keep two keyboard files with opposite CTRL and CAPS
assignments for working on others' computers, since I never did
get used to the "improved" IBM keyboard layout.

Two-level commands
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Since I don't like using function keys, I sacrificed the [ and ]
keys to access other functions. Here's how things are laid out:

Ctrl + key   Basic editing functions; Left control with right
        hand letter keys does most everything I need
        for regular text editing.

[  + key   [ with *left* hand letters starts up various
        XPL programs that check for the next keystroke
        and execute a function accordingly.

        [W - window related commands
        [G - global search and replace
        [F - file commands
        [Z - mode codes
        [A - alt-key save-get functions
        [S - save file
        [D - directory
        [X - expand/hide formatting codes
        etc.

]  + key   Special characters otherwise unavailable,
        particularly []{} ≪ ≫

I'm sure this setup would win the word-processing Olympics if
there ever was one.

Keyboard definition files

Mistakes here are death in a fast machine, because the error
message is practically invisible. Trouble shooting can be quite
painful.

I never did really understand what those NI calls were supposed
to do.

I'd welcome some help here.

--
Joel Roth