CLIP's test of virtue / XP lag

I was thrilled to find CLIP in XyWWWEB.U2--many thanks
to the responsible parties--and had it working nicely
in Xy4Dos under XP. Did some tests, moved a few bits,
etc.

Tonight I had two lines of text to paste, hit my
hotkey and got the message Pasting (Be patient!), only
to have the program stop completely dead: no cursor
movement and only Windows End Program to quit.

 The spot I was pasting to was a few characters away
from the end of the file. On further experimentation,
I could paste the same text easily near the beginning.
 Has this happened to anyone else, and is there a fix?
(Obviously now that I'm aware of it I can just paste
at the top of the file and move the pasted text if
need be.)

Also, running Xy4 in an XP window after last week's
query, the keyboard default made no difference--it's
still twitchy. Anyone have other fixes? The
full-screen alternative is smooth, but it's far less
sharp on my screen.

A tangent: instead of Hyperterminal for sending text
by dial-up modem, I recently switched to XP's own
Telnet emulation. It looks like a DOS window, and yes,
it's twitchy too.

                Jon Pareles