Re: Settings for XP

Harry,

Here is something I saved and copied from Myron, which helped with my
XP settings.

Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 12:00:04 -0400

"Myron Gochnauer"

This might be of interest to some---

Today I installed the fonts from woafon14.zip in to Win2K's fonts
directory.

At the moment, woafon14.zip can be found at:

ftp://ftp.sat-com.com/pub/WINDOWS/WIN31/FONTS/

It turns out that the 10x13 "large friendly font" works extremely well
in a
DOS box with the following set up:

Screen resolution on my Thinkpad: 1024x768
XyWrite for DOS 4.18
Desktop icon for XyWrite starts c:\xy4\editor.exe
Desktop icon Properties (right click on icon):
  Program:
    Cmd Line:  c:\xy4\editor.exe
    Working:  c:\xy4
    batch file: [empty]
    Run: normal window
    close on exit: chosen
  Font:
    Font size: 10x13
  Memory:
    Conventional memory: both set to Auto
    Expanded Memory: 5120
    Extended Memory: none
    MS-DOS protected mode: auto
  Screen:
    Usage: Window
    Restore settings on startup: chosen
    Fast ROM emulation: chosen
    Dynamic Memory Allocation: chosen
  Misc:
    Idle sensitivity: low
    Fast pasting: chosen

Tame 4.41 is installed (and soon to be paid for).

When Xy is started, the Properties for the DOS box
(right click in upper left corner of box):

       Command History -- Buffer Size: 50
                Number of Buffers: 4
  Font:   Raster Fonts 10x13
  Layout:  Screen Buffer Size -- 80x50
       Window Size -- 80x50
       Window Position -- 88x54
       Let system position window -- not chosen
  (btw, Win2K will not accept unusual window/buffer sizes like 80x39.)

XyWrite's "settings.dfl" has these added at the end:
  DF SW=80
  DF SL=50
(screen width and length)

Finally, Win2K's autoexec file for DOS, which is
c:\winnt\system32\autoexec.nt, has the following added to it:

path c:\xy4;c:\xy4\pgm

There was no path command before I added this.
c:\xy4\pgm is where I store XPL programs.

Win2K does *not* use autoexec.bat or config.sys for DOS windows. It
uses
autoexec.nt and config.nt in the Windows system32 subdirectory. [Why
in the
world didn't they put these files in the root directory where
autoexec.bat
and config.sys have been since the birth of DOS???]

If Xywrite is not added to the Path, Xywrite cannot find the spelling
dictionary and similar things unless it is in its home directory --- or
at
least that has been my experience.

Anyway, after all of that, the result is XyWrite in a large box, with
pleasant, easy to read characters on my LCD screen. The box is located
so
that it is bordered left, right, and top by desktop icons, where I keep
things like the OED, Webster's, Acrobat, Explorer, "Empty Temp
Folders",
HeatSoft's ADCS (a *great* file comparison and equalized program), etc.

Sorry for the length of this, but if anyone wanted to try it I thought
you
should have the whole ball of wax.

Myron

--- Harry Binswanger  wrote:
> I've looked up and down in XySearch and I can't find what memory
> tells me
> is there somewhere: the optimal settings for all the variables in the
>
> Properties of the shortcut for launching Xy4DOS under XP.
>
> I'm trying to solve my shrinking cursor problem. Not only does it not
>
> "take," in the PIF or LNK (I'm not sure which I have), but my
> workaround
> (putting in a pause at the top of STARTUP.INT) gets undone if I
> either run
> spell check or shell to DOS.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Harry Binswanger