Re: fraction conversion (Xy3+) -- beginner question

Okay, I've reentered it and now it reads:
BC cvAR \AR -1AR /2\½\XC BC
BC cvAR \1/2\½\XC BC
BC cvAR \AR -1AR /4\¼\XC BC
BC cvAR \1/4\¼\XC
....Works through the first line, then gives up. (The double BCs didn't
show up the first time around, when I relied on copying the first line
rather than reentering it, which may have been part of the problem.)

I tried again using [ch] rather than [cv]:
BC chAR \AR -1AR /2AR \½AR \XC BC
BC chAR \AR 1AR /2AR \½AR \XC BC
BC chAR \AR -1AR /4AR \¼AR \XC BC
BC chAR \AR 1AR /4AR \¼AR \XC
....which works fine, but I would prefer to use [cv] because there might
be some situations where I don't want to convert.

Seems to me neither of these looks much like the other code I have seen
posted on this forum, and I have no idea why. But that's what shows on
my screen, after using the commands "nep (filename)" and "cap
(filename)" on the command line and the Scroll Lock key before entering
the routines.

As you may have guessed, I'm near the limit of my understanding of
XyWrite programming. Any advice would be welcome.