Re: Memorizing/Returning to Cursor Position [was 'Too Many Page Elements']

Reply to note from jr_fox@xxxxxxxx Thu, 01 Mar 2001 17:13:11 -
0800

> I would I very rarely miss the lack of a GUI feature, but the
> side margin slider bar in many programs that gives a rough
> visual cue that you are, say, halfway into a large file, does
> come in handy sometimes.

Xy4DOS has that. You need to adjust the window size to something
less than full-screen in order to see it. Execute, for example,
WINDOW n,1,1,78,20 and then open a file. The scroll bar is where
you'd expect it to be, on the right.

> In most such cases, be using the Page / Ln. counter --
> temporarily -- to reckon the relative position of something in
> the file, so that I could GO to that position later. That
> seemed to me the easiest way to guage position in XyDOS, though
> maybe one of you have a better idea, perhaps another little
> goody I did not know was present in .U2.

POS puts a JMP command with the current cursor position on
the CMline (and optionally STACKs it, if you have STACK.PM
installed). After working elsewhere in a file, simply hit F9 to
return to the original position. Works in any view (Draft,
eXPanded, whatever), and thus avoids the "too many page elements"
problem you describe (which is too weird for words given that HTML
files are plain text).

% shows how far down the file you are in percentage terms.

FMARK is a full-featured placemarker routine. It does for
placemarkers what STACK does for commands: records and retrieves an
unlimited number of them, i.e., lets you cycle through multiple
placemarkers within a file, for any number of files. It has
additional intelligence to find and update markers in files that
have changed due to editing. You can ABort or STore the file and
reCAll it later; the markers are still there (unless you clear
them). All "bookkeeping" is done in memory; FMARK never inserts
codes or otherwise modifies a file. Command HELP FMARK for
further info.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx