Re: Logon

"Andrew J. Glass"  wrote:

> Preliminary efforts to run XyWrite on Windows 2000 have proven
> problematic.

Could you possibly be a bit more specific? I also recently had
occasion to briefly try out running XyWrite for DOS (version 4.018)
in a DOS session under Windows 2000 Professional, and found a few
glitches regarding keyboard mapping, in particular with a
non-standard key on the Japanese 106-key keyboard that I had remapped
as a Xy toggle key, but otherwise it seemed to run fine. I do need to
do some further testing, though, and I did have problems with some
other DOS programs. I intend to eventually make the switch from
my current operating system (Windows 98, Japanese version) to Windows
2000 Professional, mainly because of the superior multilingual
capabilities of the latter, and a projected increase in stability.
I'd be interested in hearing what problems you encountered.

> I had lunch today with Bill Gates who told me that MS will come out
> with a new OS this year that integrates the best features of W2K
> and Windows 98.

The next time you see Bill, tell him that this sounds like an
excellent idea, and there is at least *one* customer in Japan eagerly
awaiting further news... Win 2K seems like a solid performer, but I
do like the "foot in the DOS world" that Windows 9X offers, including
the capability to boot straight to a plain DOS screen if I want it,
and compatibility with anything DOSsy I throw at it.

Re the mysterious log-on problem that some people seem to be having:

My XyWrite directory contains no .LOG files whatsoever, and my
startup file has no logon command (I took that out many many years
ago, almost immediately after first upgrading from version III+). Xy
has never complained and starts up perfectly, under plain DOS,
Windows 95, Windows 98 first edition, and Windows 98 SE.

Wolfgang Bechstein
wolfie@xxxxxxxx