Re: Giving up on giving it up ...

A quick reply (I'm on deadline) ...
Thanks much for this. I will get Xy4 and play with it ... in near future. The wildcard replace alone is worth it.
On that cursor visibility thing. I didn't keep good notes, so can't tell you
exactly what all I tried -- but I remember thinking I tried everything, and
then some. I changed the color, the size, the blinking, everything. I
investigated every "Properties" I could find. I tinkered in both Windows and
in XyWrite. I reread sections of the XyWrite manual I hadn't read in years.
I learned more about Windows than I wanted to know. I changed fonts and font
size all over the place. Nothing was satisfactory. (I don't have a clue
whether part of the problem was that this is a laptop, not a larger
monitor.)
This doesn't mean that if I had an expert like you looking over my shoulder
there wouldn't be an "ah-ha" moment .... but I'm assuming nobody really
wants to come to Texas.
There were tradeoffs among settings -- I was going crazy "working" in the
best (but still not good enough) setting. On my second work project after I
got the laptop, I reverted to my desktop (the one whose fan noise had sent
me in crisis mode to Best Buy, 60 miles away, on a Saturday) ... (that
desktop still works -- but modem has now conked, so it's not a complete
redundant backup -- I'm considering getting modem replaced, and insides
dusted out ...) .... ...

I work in both insert and overstrike mode, but much more in overstrike.

Back to work. I'm indexing a book on personality disorders. Fun.

Marge
----- Original Message ----- From: "Harry Binswanger"