Spooling

At 1/28/2004 09:51 PM -0500, Robert Holmgren wrote:
Have you printed from XyWrite before with that printer? It's not a
"WinPrinter", right? The specs say that it only prints under Win32 operating
systems, and Mac OS 8.6+, which is a characteristic of WinPrinters. Nothing
about DOS. Can you print to it using DOS's PRINT command? You've got it on
LPT1, right -- not USB? Turn off the spooler.
I've been trying to do this on my HP2200D. The dialogs in properties won't
let me do it. The _print directly to the printer_ check box is grayed-out
and inaccessible. And I think it's spooling that is giving me some fits:
sometimes the printer prints from IE6, for example, sometimes the print cue
just says _printing_ and nothing happens. Same with other windows programs,
though I can not make this happen at will to trouble shoot. XYDos prints on
demand, without problems. NB70b is another story. It too sometimes produces
the interminable print queue; if I try to invoke the FinePrint (a great
utility) driver, it hangs unless I switch to download as bitmaps (Their
tech support has this bug on their list). At all events, I think if I can
turn off the spooling my mysterious queuing might disappear.

Michael Norman