Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2004 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: non-xywrite question about ram on an apple.

[J. R. Fox, replying to Avrom Fischer:]

>> As to the ins & outs of music software itself, I'm afraid I have no clue.

     I don't have detailed knowledge of music software; but, intending to buy a
program, I did experiment with the free demo versions of Sibelius and Finale a
few years ago, and I got a perhaps somewhat subjective impression of the
programs - so I have a nodding acquaintance with these two programs (in earlier
versions).  I am thoroughly familiar with music notation/theory itself, but have
only a general impression of the software.
     If you like to tell me what type of work your cantor wishes to do with the
software, I *may* be able to make tentative suggestions.  It may be more
suitable to pursue this privately, off the list, though, if you wish - or your
cantor can write to me directly, if he wishes.
     But I am not expert, and my plans didn't go the way I expected, and thus I
didn't actually buy any music software at all.  So I am limited in the advice I
can offer.  But Finale and Sibelius are quite expensive programs, and, depending
on what your cantor wishes to do, there is the possibility that less powerful
but cheaper software may suffice.
     Whatever I may suggest, I urge your cantor to join the mailing lists I
mentioned before - there are lots of people there far more knowledgeable than I
am.  Compared to them, I am totally superfluous, and your cantor would lose
nothing by bypassing me and going straight to the mailing lists.  (If you are
not knowledgeable about music yourself, there is little point in you trying to
discuss the matter on music-related mailing lists - so your cantor should be the
person to do this, since he knows what he wants to do.)
     If you or your cantor wish to look at the possibility of researching other
programs, a good page to get links from is this:

  http://ace.acadiau.ca/score/others.htm

     There is little detailed information here - just lots of links to follow.

                         Regards,
                          Michael Edwards.